As we approach the end of July the reality of turning the calendar page is quickly setting in. Dallin has mentioned how many days until school starts, which is quickly followed by an "Ugh!" from Elena. Scott's at the computer most days now with a vengeance and a large to do list. We're reminded that he's teaching an online class and gearing up for the Fall as we invite him to any ridiculous sort of outing that we can conjure up. When he starts to say, "I'd better not" then we remember that our life of luxury is going to soon come to an end. He's usually able to work in a quick morning trip to the pool.
The kids have become the neighborhood pet, lawn, plant care gurus. We borrowed the Complete Brady Bunch TV Series DVD set as a result. We've had a Brady marathon for several weeks now. I'm pretty sure the kids are tired of me saying things like, "I used to have gogo boots just like that!" or "I was so in love with Peter!". Too fun!
Ainsley's working hard and had a great time being a counselor at youth conference. We as parents are really trying to remember our new position in life with her and she's doing a pretty good job of being patient with us.
Elena was looking forward to Youth Conference all summer! She had a great time and received a great compliment from our bishop - "That girl really knows how to work!" They cleared land for a developing "Horse and Buddy" program. The conference was not free from drama and scandal of course - we're dealing with teenagers you know!
Dallin's off to Scout camp. I was happy to know that I could email him and he can email back AND they have a live webcam set up so I can see who's walking by the flag pole at various times during the day. Whatever happened to sending your kid off and never hearing from him and sweating it out hoping he was coping with the bugs and bullies? (Secretly I'm thrilled!)