Monday, April 21, 2008

Springtime

In springtime, the only pretty ring time
Birds sing, hey ding
A-ding, a-ding
Sweet lovers love the spring--

Ainsley will be home tonight - we're excited about that.

Elena is helping us to remember what it's like to have a teenager around. We giggled about the joke that goes something like, "What's a Mormon's favorite whine?" and giggled more as we mimicked the mother turned into daughter in Freaky Friday as she whined, "uhhhhh, my life is so horrible, uuuhhhh!"

Dallin had a banner day yesterday. Both Scott and I were quite busy with our responsibilities at church and I was in the middle of dinner as well as on the phone. Dallin noticed and managed what I had started when I had to continue my call upstairs. One of the potatoes in the microwave was hissing and proceeded to end up on the floor. Dallin cleaned it up, cleaned, pricked and cooked a replacement before I got downstairs. I had another call later in the evening while Scott was out home teaching and after my call Dallin came up and said that I wouldn't need to worry about cleaning up downstairs. I went to see what he was talking about and he had put the food away, cleaned the counter tops, loaded and started the dishwasher and topped that off by reorganizing the refrigerator! That's my little man!

I was bragging on him to his brother Jeffrey and he remarked, "thats soo cool about dallin!!!!!!!!!!!! im pretty sure someone could have heard you singing that song from Sound the music...i must have done something good."

But anyway, later in the evening I listened while Dallin expressed his dilemma about his sincere desire to play for the NBA. I asked for his motivation for doing so and among other things he mentioned money and fame. We talked for a while longer and it dawned on me sometime after he went to bed ... and then I shared with him this morning, that the feelings that he felt while he was serving and being quietly recognized for doing something significant in someone else's life is the fame and fortune he should be seeking. The worldly fame and fortune is Satan's counterfeit. He smiled his knowing smile.